Wednesday, 3 September 2008

Basically a Bon Jovi fan

So while the only people who actually read this thing will doubtless snort in derision at this statement, I've never really tried to pretend I have particularly cool taste in music.

I mean, I clearly really like the music I'm into to a quite obnoxious, single minded degree, but to co-opt one of them there truisms, the more I know, the more I know I know nothing, and certainly writing for Plan B and, God help me, reading the Plan B forum (it's terrifying, about five people from Glasgow who should probably really just be down the pub together having lengthy discussions about stuff too obtuse to get into the magazine) has taught me that I really do know dick all. Nor, let's be honest, can I be arsed doing so.

But anyway. That's not really the issue. I am probably never going to appreciate free jazz, or even try to appreciate free jazz, it'd be a disaster. The point being that I've met so many people who regard guitar music as rather a gauche concept that it I've accepted the heights of poise and sophistication are never going to be scaled via the medium of indie, but still... some indie bands are more equal than otheres, and my recent headlong love affair with Parts & Labor (who even get saddled with the epithet 'noise band' from time to time, probably by journalists who want to pretend they like noise bands - hell, I'd do it...) at least set me to thinking I could have a conversation wherein I could bluff it that my music taste wasn't basically the same as yer basic American teenage girl (this according to LastFM).

Nope. Nowheres Nigh, the lead track of Parts & Labor's new album Receivers (you can download it here: http://www.scjag.com/mp3/jag/nowheresnigh(edit).mp3), sounds like Bon Jovi. I knew this would happen. Obviously I love it and have listened to it about a gazillion times since the album turned up on Saturday, but it's this big polished, anthemic thing that makes me want to swill Bud Light and shout "hell yeah" (it's completely at odds to the seven minute folk drone things that make up the rest of the album, which I've obviously not listened to nearly as much.)



Er, I'm not sure that I really have a point to make here. Maybe that cool is relative or something, I dunno. Erm, but it is basically a case, I have realised, that my essential taste in music revolves around listening to the musical avant garde and then sort of cherry picking the bits that sound like stadium rock anthems - I'm not sure if that makes me a fool or makes Bon Jovi fans narrow minded. Probably a little of both. Oh god, I only really wrote this blog because it was bugging me and I felt vaguely like I should write something having omitted to say owt about Edinburgh or Leeds. They were good. That is all. Maybe I will say something about Bestival. Probably not. As I obliquely waffled in the last blog, I am a man, not a monkey
PS. speaking of which, apparently Sarah Palin genuinely doesn't believe in evolution... I mean for fuck's sake... I'm not actually sure what Bush's views on the subject are, but I suspect he's about as religious as the tinny of Becks Vier I'm drinking, I reckon I could be right in saying she'd be the the first honest to God (ho ho) religious loon in... I've got a horrible feeling that if McCain gets into power she's going to be just as band as Cheney, only with a sort of faux everywoman/country bumpkin shtick replacing the palpable aura of evil.
PPS. I had this thought the other day: 'oh, well, obviously I'm not going to vote for the oleaginous lying cunt, but if David Cameron got in and happened to be able to sort the economy out, I wouldn't actually complain'. Basically as well as becoming a Bon Jovi fan, I've become a Tory. Still, to give one reference to Edinburgh, I rather liked the man the legend Jon Richardson's observation of our PM that 'he's so shit, you know he must have something up his sleeve. Actually, sesing as you've made it to the bottom of this blog, have some Jon Richardson, he's funnier than I am, if you can believe that.

video

1 comment:

Andrew Field said...

I had the revelation the other day that the reason I love the music I love (really, honest to god love rather than admire or enjoy or dance to in an attempt to be more than I am) is fundamentally to do with my Dad's collection of 1970s Freeway Rock compilation CDs (all called invariably either 'Born to be Wild' or some variation on the words Anthems, Ultimate, Driving and World).

And when you listen to music at that age it isn't really about listening to music - everything leaks into everything else as one kind of big gooey happy memory.

Essentially the Allman Brother's are for me the equivalent of a kindly Aunt who died before you realised what a racist she was or that fairground that transfixed you before you ever went to Disney.

Point being (I think) that a crashing guitar riff and and a boozily anthemic chorus line are less about the music and more about the giddy hopes of the 8 year old boy that I pretty much still am. Which is probably my justification for secretly kind of really liking Bon Jovi.